Sunday, September 16, 2012

Volcanoes Volcanoes

Mosquite bites on ankle bones and kneecaps are as unpleasant as they sound. 

Monday: The other YAVS and I met with Marcia and a man who works with CEDEPCA after language school. He talked about some of the problems in Guatemala. While what he said was very interesting, I have since forgotten all of it.

Tuesday: I had a moment of silence and then went to language school. I was very cranky due to 40,000 mosquito bites and lack of sleep. I painted my nails glittery as my self care.

Wednesday: Annie and I attempted to attend a Bachata dance class. However, I was cranky again and the teacher was incredibly creepy so we left early. I went to an event with my host family put on by the school my two sisters attend. It was for independence day and involved a lot of Spànish that I did not understand and a lot of drums. 

Thursday: Kate, Rachel y I had Spanish school for eight hours. My teacher and I played games and ate candy. After school, my four year old host sister and I bonded over our love for baby bunny. He was hiding from us so we spent a long time attempting to get him to come out of his hiding spot. Then she made me play a game with her involving running around in circles on the roof on a tarp. It was a bit strange. Kate came over at night and we watched the volcano, Volcán de Fuego, erupt from the roof. It was so crazy to see lava pouring down the side of the mountain.

Friday: We hiked an active volcano in the morning instead of going to school. Our guide put sticks over a lava hole and they caught fire. We roasted marshmallows over the lava fire. It was awesome.

Saturday: Independence day in the Guate! Kate, Annie y yo woke up super early to take a bus into Antigua to watch the parade. It also involved a lot of Spanish I didn´t understand and more drumming. People in the Guate sure do like their drums. 

My sister feeding baby bunny.
I think this is the erupting volcano. I could be wrong though and it could be the dormant one. Not sure!

Standing on the lava!


No comments:

Post a Comment