Friday, November 16, 2012

New beginnings

I have had an eventful past couple of weeks!

I usually use my journal to write my blogs but I forgot it so I will just have to wing it..

I went to my first Guatemalan wedding! A couple from my church got married and my parents were their godparents. The wedding lasted...five hours! It was a lot of fun though and it was good to see everybody so happy. 
Family photo after the wedding

I had never met the couple before..but my mom made me be in the pictures anyways!

After the wedding my brother gave me a guitar lesson. I mentioned once to my mom that I wanted to learn and my brother offered to give me lessons without me even asking. My family is truly amazing.

As most of you already know, we had a major earthquake here. I was at school when it happened so I gathered my little children to me and huddled under the door. Two people in San Mateo died and many more died in San Marcos. My house is okay, there is just a large crack all the way down the hallway. 

The other YAVs, Marcia, and I had our November retreat at a coffee finca (plantation). It was so amazing! We got to pick coffee with the workers, and I actually really enjoyed it. Most Guatemalans can´t afford to buy coffee from Guatemala (we always drink instant coffee) and it makes me so sad. It´s like a New Mexican who can´t afford green chile because it´s all exported.

I honestly did not know coffee was red..the process is quite interesting!

We all went on a hike and explored the finca, we climbed up a cliff using only tree roots, it was awesome!

We had another earthquake, it wasnt as strong as the first one but still did some damage in San Mateo. The large crack in my hallway has grown but the house is still standing!

My host mom celebrated her 50th birthday while I was gone at the retreat. Being the amazing person that she is, she saved me birthday cake. I am going to live with her forever!

Today was the graduation for the kids at Ceipa. I was so proud of my little students! Well actually they are big students as most of them are at least 15, but I am about two feet taller than them. These kids only graduated sixth grade, but that is such an accomplishment for them. These kids have to decide daily whether they will work to support their family or go to school. That is not a decision a child should ever have to make. 

my two favorite non graduating boys, they still have a year left

After graduation!

I´m sure more things happened..but my memory is still failing me. Oh well!


No comments:

Post a Comment